London is one of the most vibrant, historic and fascinating cities in the world to explore. However, it can be an expensive task finding family accommodation in London. Rooms are generally much smaller than average and the convenience of the inner city will cost you.
With a bit of inside information, there are still ways to find affordable accommodation for families in London.
Where are the best areas to stay in London with kids?
There are so many different areas that would make a perfectly suitable stay for families. No matter where you stay, there will be some travel involved to get between the major sites, but public transport systems are extensive and easy to understand (click here to read more on how to get about London).
- Generally speaking, if you want budget, you’re looking outside of central London (zone 1-2), but as long as you are well connected with transport, this is a super way to save.
- Just west of central London, staying in Kensington or Earls Court is cheaper than staying in the heart of the West End.
- Just South of the river, on the Southbank, Southwark and Waterloo are very conveniently located.
- Shopping and royalty on your mind? Stay in areas like Marble Arch, Knightsbridge and Victoria.
Top tips for booking a London hotel
- Costs can quickly add up on London accommodation. Whilst VAT is normally included in your quoted hotel cost, service charges may not be.
- In-room WiFi may not be provided free, although it often is in common areas.
- It can be hard to find accommodation with parking in London (there may be nearby options cheaper than the hotel itself).
- Rooms can be very tight! Cots are often not provided as there is no extra space so you may need to make use of existing bedding or expect kids to share a sofa bed to fit into family rooms.
- Compare rates on hotelscombined.com before you book as rates can vary between booking companies.
Best luxury hotels in London
Best mid-range hotels in London
Best budget hotels in London
Best self-catering accommodation in London
Want to know how we’ve selected our family-friendly hotels? Come and learn our secret formula for a happy hotel visit!
Looking for things to do while you’re in London?
No worries we have you covered for that too, jump over to our “Top Things to Do in London with Kids“