Amsterdam is such an easy city to explore on foot and an efficient public transport system make it easy to get around. Staying at hotels in Amsterdam central areas will make it easy to explore Amsterdam with kids.
In our choice of the best family hotels in Amsterdam, we have focused on centrally located hotels that make this possible.
Where this is not the case, we have ensured that the our Amsterdam hotel recommendations are within easy reach of public transport to the city centre. All of these family friendly hotels in Amsterdam have either interconnecting rooms or rooms large enough for a family of 4 or more.
What is the best area to stay in Amsterdam with family?
There are several good areas to stay in Amsterdam. Here we highlight some of the best for families.
- Centrum (The Old Centre): the city centre is a good choice for an Amsterdam family holiday if you want to be within walking distance of all the main attractions and close to a good choice of restaurants.
- Grachtengordel & Gratchengordel-West: if you are hoping to stay in an Amsterdam canal hotel, then these quiet canalside streets to the west of Centrum offer the quintessential Amsterdam experience. Here you will also find plenty of restaurants and cafes in the vicinity.
- Museum District: the Museum District is another popular area in Amsterdam for families thanks to its quieter atmosphere and green spaces, including the enormous Vondelpark.
Top tips for booking family accommodation in Amsterdam
- Many Amsterdam hotels have lots of steep stairs to contend with, and due to planning permission issues, older canal houses particularly do not have elevators. If you are travelling with a stroller, be sure to check ahead. Newer build properties are more likely to have elevator access.
- Look out for great Amsterdam hotel deals on higher-end properties during off-season.
- Amsterdam is a renowned party town, attracting “hen” and “stag” parties (bachelor/bachelorette) from across Europe. Choose where to stay in Amsterdam with family wisely or be prepared that you may be sharing your corridor with a rowdy crowd.
- Compare rates on hotelscombined.com before you book as Amsterdam hotel prices can vary between booking companies.
Best luxury hotels in Amsterdam
If money is no object, then these fancy 5 star hotels in Amsterdam are for you! These are some of the very best hotels in Amsterdam city centre, offering great location, facilities, dining and more.
Best mid-range hotels in Amsterdam
There is a wide range of 4 star hotels in Amsterdam to choose from, where you can stay in comfort without breaking the bank. All of the following are perfect for family holidays in Amsterdam.
Best budget hotels in Amsterdam
If you are on a budget, you will be pleased to hear there are several good cheap hotels in Amsterdam to choose from. Whether you want modern or traditional, hotel or hostel, this is where to stay in Amsterdam on a budget.
Best self-catering accommodation in Amsterdam
Sometimes it can just be easier to have some more space, and personal facilities such as a kitchen and laundry. These family apartments in Amsterdam allow you to enjoy the city at your own pace.
Want to know how we’ve selected our family-friendly hotels? Come and learn our secret formula for a happy hotel visit with kids!!
Looking for things to do while you’re in Amsterdam?
No worries we have you covered for that too, jump over to our “Things to Do in Amsterdam with Kids”