Amsterdam is such an easy city to explore on foot and an efficient public transport system make it easy to get around. Staying at a hotel in any of the central areas will make it easy to explore Amsterdam with kids.
In our choice of family hotels in Amsterdam, we have focused on centrally located hotels that make this possible.
Where this is not the case, we have ensured that the hotel is within easy reach of public transport to the city centre. All of these family friendly Amsterdam hotels have either interconnecting rooms or rooms large enough for a family of 4 or more.
Where are the best areas to stay in Amsterdam with kids?
- Centrum (The Old Centre): the city centre is a good choice for an Amsterdam family holiday if you want to be within walking distance of all the main attractions and close to a good choice of restaurants.
- Grachtengordel & Gratchengordel-West: these quiet canalside streets to the west of Centrum offer the quintessential Amsterdam experience, with plenty of restaurants and cafes in the vicinity.
- Museum District: the Museum District is another popular area with people on an Amsterdam family vacation thanks to its quieter atmosphere and green spaces, including the enormous Vondelpark.
Top tips for booking an Amsterdam family hotel
- Many Amsterdam hotels have lots of steep stairs to contend with, and due to planning permission issues, older canal houses particularly do not have elevators. If you are travelling with a stroller, be sure to check ahead. Newer build properties are more likely to have elevator access.
- Look out for great deals on higher-end properties during off-season.
- Amsterdam is a renowned party town, attracting “hen” and “stag” parties (bachelor/bachelorette) from across Europe. Choose your hotel wisely or be prepared that you may be sharing your corridor with a rowdy crowd.
- Compare rates on hotelscombined.com before you book as rates can vary between booking companies.
Best luxury hotels in Amsterdam
Best mid-range hotels in Amsterdam
Best budget hotels in Amsterdam
Best self-catering accommodation in Amsterdam
Want to know how we’ve selected our family-friendly hotels? Come and learn our secret formula for a happy hotel visit with kids!!
Looking for things to do while you’re in Amsterdam?
No worries we have you covered for that too, jump over to our “Things to Do in Amsterdam with Kids”