Barcelona is a very family friendly city. With colourful art, a lovely beach and some of the best food in Europe, Barcelona is an easy destination for families, and a city that both adults and kids will love.
Best time to visit Barcelona
Barcelona enjoys a moderate climate and can be visited any time of the year.
The best time to visit Barcelona for families is the early summer, followed by early autumn. At this time, the weather is beautiful but not excessively hot, rain is scarce and you can enjoy both outdoor and indoors attractions even with little explorers in tow.
- Spring and autumn are the best time to visit Barcelona for sightseeing, because of the mild temperatures and bright days
- Summer is the best time to visit Barcelona if you want to make the most if its beach. Most waterfront restaurants and cafes are family friendly and kids will enjoy the beach playgrounds and the cycling footpath
- Winter is the best season to visit Barcelona if you are travelling on a budget. November to February is considered low season and prices of accommodation drop.
- Winter in Barcelona is not freezing but can be cold: make sure you dress appropriately and do expect the occasional rainy day
Find our guide to the best time to visit Barcelona here
How to get around Barcelona
Barcelona has an excellent public transport system with buses, metro, trains and trams.
- The city’s integrated ticketing system allows you to move freely from one form of transport to the other.
- Single tickets, multi tickets and travel cards are available for different durations.
- Children under 4 go free.
- Taxis are surprisingly affordable in Barcelona and often a good alternative to public transport. Be aware that child seats are compulsory when using a Barcelona taxi but not all drivers abide this rule: make sure you have your own car seat to keep you child safe and avoid fines.
Find more information on tips on how to get around Barcelona here
Where to stay in Barcelona with kids
Barcelona is one of the most visited cities in the whole of Europe and has many accommodation options to suit all budgets. We think the best areas in Barcelona for families are either El Born or Eixample. El Born is close to the city centre attractions and the beach, and is a lovely area with easy access to parks and the Barcelona Zoo. Eixample is an elegant, residential area close to the city centre, with good accommodation options and a tranquil vibe. Eixample is perfect for families who prefer to avoid the sometimes loud Barcelona nightlife.
Click here to read our top picks of family hotels in Barcelona.
Top things to do in Barcelona with kids
Barcelona is a great city to visit with kids. There is always so many things to do in Barcelona with kids, from stunning museums to the aquarium and beautiful parks. Sightseeing in Barcelona is easy to enjoy with kids: Gaudi‘s whimsical and colourful architecture captures the imagination of the youngest explorers and Barcelona’s many parks and the beach are great places to mix urban exploration and downtime. Family-friendly museums and the famous Barcelona aquarium make the city perfect for a family holiday.
Click here to read our top picks of things to do in Barcelona.
What to pack for Barcelona
We share our tried and tested packing list for Barcelona to be ready for all the city has to offer! The main items we recommend packing when visiting Barcelona with small children are a baby carrier and a stroller. The baby carrier will be invaluable on public transport and in busy museums, while the stroller is indispensable for exploring the city on foot, something we highly recommend. Clothes-wise, what to pack for Barcelona will depend on what time of year you plan to visit as Barcelona has four distinctive seasons.
Click here to read our full packing list for Barcelona.