Lisbon is a very family friendly city, blessed with mild weather and famous for excellent fresh food. There is a good choice of family hotels in Lisbon as well as loads of fun family friendly things to do in Lisbon, with attractions to suit all ages and travel styles.
Best time to visit Lisbon
Lisbon has for distinct seasons: a hot summer, pleasant spring and autumn, and an unpredictable (albeit usually mild) winter.
- The best time to visit Lisbon with kids are the spring and autumn months.
- Summer is a great time to enjoy the many Lisbon beaches.
- Winter is low season and a good choice if you are travelling on a budget.
Find our full guide about the best time to visit Lisbon here
How to get around Lisbon
Lisbon has a good public transport system, with a metro, trams and cable cars.
- Tourists can use the metro, Lisbon’s trams and the local cable cars, useful on Lisbon’s steep hills.
- The Lisboa Card is an excellent option, offering discounts on public transport and many city attractions.
- Parts of Lisbon are not stroller friendly. If travelling with a baby, we recommend bringing a baby carrier.
Where to stay in Lisbon with kids
Lisbon offers many family friendly accommodation options ranging from hotels to self catering apartments. The best area to stay in Lisbon with kids is the city centre, especially the Baixa and Chiado nighbourhoods. If you prefer to stay further away from the centre, then the lovely area of Belem is a great choice for families. It boasts great views over the Tagus River and is just a short tram ride from the city centre.
Top things to do in Lisbon with kids
Entertaining kids in Lisbon is easy. Just sightseeing around the city can be fun, with a choice of exploring by boat, tram or on foot. Then there’s museums, a fantastic aquarium, beautiful parks with playgrounds and the beach nearby. There are always so many things to do in Lisbon with kids. Read on for all our top picks of family attractions in Lisbon.
What to pack for Lisbon
Our packing guides are coming soon