New York City is one of the most exciting cities in the world and attracts around 60 million visitors a year. And no wonder – there is something for everyone in New York. If you are visiting New York with kids, we have found all the best places to stay and things to do with kids in New York to make the most of your visit to the Big Apple.
Best time to visit New York
The best time to visit New York City is any time! The most comfortable seasons weather-wise for sightseeing are Spring and Fall, with mild and pleasant temperatures. The festive period between Thanksgiving and New Year is popular and you can expect higher prices and longer queues. The summer months of July and August are another peak period. January and February are generally the quietest months thanks to the cold winter temperatures.
- The most comfortable seasons are Spring (Apr-Jun) and Fall (Sep-Nov).
- The festive period between Thanksgiving and New Year is very busy.
- The Summer months of July and August are also peak period.
- January and February are the quietest months due to cold temperatures.
How to get around New York
New York City is an easy city to navigate. It is easily explored on foot and has an affordable and efficient public transport system. The majority of tourists to New York choose to explore the city using a combination of walking, subway and taxi.
- Manhattan’s grid system makes it an easy city to navigate.
- The New York subway is the most popular form of public transport.
- Up to 3 children 44 inches (111cm) and under can ride for free on the subway when accompanied by a fare-paying adult.
- New York taxis are plentiful and relatively cheap.
Where to stay in New York with kids
With such a huge number of hotels in New York, it can be hard to narrow down where is the best place to stay. Ideally you will want to be centrally located in Manhattan for ease of sightseeing. Being close to Central Park is a bonus when considering a family hotel in New York. Click below to see our pick of all the best family friendly hotels in New York City.
Top things to do in New York with kids
New York is one of the easiest cities in the world to entertain children. There are always so many things to do in New York with kids. If you are looking for ideas of what to do in New York with children, click below to read our pick of all the best New York attractions for kids.
What to pack for New York
Clothes-wise, your New York packing list will depend on what time of year you are visiting, as the seasons in New York are very distinct. New York is a city best explored by foot, and so no matter what time of year you visit, it is a good idea to include comfortable walking shoes on your things to take to New York list. We give you lots of ideas for your New York packing list.