San Francisco is a wonderful city to visit with kids. Located on the beautiful Bay area and with stunning views over the world famous Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco has many family friendly attractions, a plethora of accommodation options and beautiful outdoor areas to suit all ages.
Best time to visit San Francisco
San Francisco has four distinct seasons and is known for changeable weather to such an extent that locals say you can experience all four seasons in the same day.
- The most pleasant times of year to visit San Francisco are the spring and the autumn, when temperatures are mild and the city sees less fog.
- Winters in San Francisco can be cold, as can summers, which often comes as a surprise to overseas visitors who associate California with year round warm weather. However, summer temperatures in San Francisco don’t usually rise above 70 degrees and especially evenings can get cold.
Find our guide to the best time for visiting San Francisco here
How to get around San Francisco
- Public transport is mostly accessible even by families with strollers and connects the centre of the city with many local towns and areas, as far as Berkeley and Concorde.
- You can pay for public transport with a Clipper Card, a chargeable card sold in the main drugstores, or by using the City Pass, which also gives access to many of the San Francisco attractions.
- The famous San Francisco cable cars are a fun transport option but are more of an attraction than an efficient way to move around the city. Cable cars cover long distances and connect important landmarks but are expensive and crowded, so definitely not an everyday option.
You can find more info on the best way to get around San Francisco here
Where to stay in San Francisco with kids
San Francisco offers a plethora of accommodation options both in the city centre and nearby towns.
- If you want to be in the heart of the action, the best areas are Union square and Fisherman’s wharf, both generous with accommodation options and well connected to the rest of the city.
- For a taste of classic San Francisco, choose elegant Nob Hill.
- If you don’t mind a short commute, valid alternatives are the cities of Berkeley and Oakland, which are connected to the city centre by BART. These cities tend to have lower accommodation prices and offer easy access to nearby nature.
Top things to do in San Francisco with kids
The city of San Francisco is like a playground for all ages. Museums, children’s attractions and stunning parks make it a city enjoyable for all ages. The only issue is whether you will have time to see it all! Check out our pick of the best family things to do in San Francisco below.
What to pack for San Francisco
California is known for glorious weather and endless summers so it may come as a surprise to many to hear that our packing list for San Francisco includes sweaters, jackets and raincoats even for summer! While the city has its fair share of sunny, gorgeous days, it is also known for very changeable weather and fluctuating temperature. Our packing list guide will have you ready in all circumstances.