Tokyo hotels are renowned for being expensive with small hotel rooms. It can be difficult to find family hotels in Tokyo with enough beds to accommodate the whole family.
With this in mind, our selection of family Tokyo hotels focuses on those that will allow rollaway beds, have interconnecting rooms and/or have triple or quad rooms to comfortably sleep a family with two or more children.
Where are the best areas to stay in Tokyo with kids?
- Shinjuku: This is the Tokyo of the movies, with its bright neon lights, bustling streets and skyscrapers. Shinjuku is one of Tokyo’s main transport hubs and is on the Yamanote line, making it easy to get everywhere from here. There is a huge choice of restaurants and shops, making it a great neighbourhood for a family holiday in Tokyo.
- Shibuya: Similar to Shinjuku, Shibuya has easy transport options, a huge choice of restaurants and good shopping options. The youthful feel of this neighbourhood makes it a fun option for a Tokyo family vacation with older kids and teenagers.
- Tokyo Station/Maranouchi: This is the biggest transport hub in Tokyo, and is a great option if you are staying in Tokyo on your way to a regional destination such as Kyoto or Osaka. It also provides easy access to Tokyo Disneyland. There is a huge choice of restaurants and it is in walking distance to the upmarket shopping district of Ginza. It is also close to the Imperial Palace and parks.
- Asakusa: This atmospheric older part of town has a lot of good cheap Tokyo hotel options and is a great area to stay in Tokyo on a budget. Asakusa also has many hotels offering larger rooms in triples and quads. It offers easy access to Senso-ji temple.
Top tips for booking a Tokyo hotel
- Try to book a hotel that is close to the Yamanote line – this Tokyo loop train line is the most useful for visiting the main tourist sites of Tokyo.
- Beware: a lot of Tokyo hotels will charge extra for use of the swimming pool and other facilities.
- Serviced apartments in Tokyo are only licensed for rental by the month. If you prefer to stay in a self-catering apartment when you travel, you will need to find serviced apartments with a hotel license, like those listed below.
- Compare rates on hotelscombined.com before booking as rates can vary between booking companies.
Best luxury hotels in Tokyo
Best mid-range hotels in Tokyo
Best budget hotels in Tokyo
Best self-catering accommodation in Tokyo
Want to know how we’ve selected our family-friendly hotels? Come and learn our secret formula for a happy hotel visit!
Looking for things to do while you’re in Tokyo?
No worries we have you covered for that too, jump over to our “Top Things to Do in Tokyo with Kids”