Here we will help you find the best family hotels in Tokyo. Tokyo hotels are renowned for being expensive with small hotel rooms, so it can be difficult to find hotels in Tokyo for a family of four or more.
With this in mind, our selection of Tokyo family hotels focuses on those that will allow rollaway beds, have interconnecting rooms and/or have triple or quad rooms to comfortably sleep a family with two or more children.
We will cover the best areas to stay in Tokyo, tips for booking the best family hotel in Tokyo and our recommendations of where to stay in Tokyo with family. And yes we include hotels near Tokyo Disney!
What is the best area to stay in Tokyo with family?
The best neighbourhood to stay in Tokyo depends on a few things: the age of your children, your budget and how much you intend to travel around the city. Perhaps you are interested in hotels near Tokyo Disneyland, or maybe hotels near Tokyo Station are more appealing for exploring the rest of Japan. We talk more about places you may want to include on your Tokyo itinerary here.
Below we highlight where to stay in Tokyo with kids, based on the above factors.
- Shinjuku: This is the Tokyo of the movies, with its bright neon lights, bustling streets and skyscrapers. Shinjuku is one of Tokyo’s main transport hubs and is on the Yamanote line, making it easy to get everywhere from here. There is a huge choice of restaurants and shops, making it a great choice for Tokyo accommodation for families.
- Shibuya: Similar to Shinjuku, Shibuya has easy transport options, a huge choice of restaurants and good shopping options. The youthful feel of this neighbourhood makes it a fun option for those looking for the best Tokyo hotels for families with older kids and teenagers.
- Tokyo Station/Maranouchi: This is the biggest transport hub in Tokyo, and is a great option if you looking for a Tokyo family hotel before your way to a regional destination such as Kyoto or Osaka. It also provides easy access to Tokyo Disneyland via train. There is a huge choice of restaurants and it is in walking distance to the upmarket shopping district of Ginza. It is also close to the Imperial Palace and parks.
- Asakusa: This atmospheric older part of town has a lot of good cheap Tokyo hotel options making it one of the best places to stay in Tokyo for family holidays on a budget. Asakusa also has many hotels offering larger rooms in triples and quads. It offers easy access to Senso-ji temple.
- Tokyo Bay: Tokyo Bay is popular with families looking for hotels near Tokyo Disney parks. You will find a good choice of Tokyo hotels for families here offering plenty of space. Note though that travel time into downtown Tokyo can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, depending on where you need to go.
Top tips for booking a Tokyo hotel
- Try to book a hotel that is close to the Yamanote line – this Tokyo loop train line is the most useful for visiting the main tourist sites of Tokyo.
- Beware: a lot of Tokyo hotels will charge extra for use of the swimming pool and other facilities.
- Serviced apartments in Tokyo are only licensed for rental by the month. If you prefer to stay in a self-catering apartment when you travel, you will need to find serviced apartments with a hotel license, like those listed below.
- Compare rates on hotelscombined.com before booking as rates can vary between booking companies.
Best luxury family friendly hotels in Tokyo
If money is no object then take your pick from these luxury hotels in Tokyo for families. Boasting swimming pools, high-end restaurants first class service, you will be well looked after at these top hotels in Tokyo. We also include here our top pick for a Tokyo Disneyland hotel.
Best mid-range family accommodation in Tokyo
If you like your creature comforts but don’t want to break the bank, then take a look at these best hotels for families in Tokyo. Here we include one of the best ryokans in Tokyo for families, as well as a more affordable Tokyo Disney hotel option.
Best budget hotels in Tokyo for family stays
Make no mistake, Tokyo is an expensive city to visit and so if you are looking for a cheap hotel in Tokyo for family, we are here to help. All of the Tokyo family accommodation highlighted below will allow you to see the city without blowing the budget.
Best apartment hotels in Tokyo
When travelling as a family it can be nice to have some extra space, and the option for self-catering can be welcoming. With kitchens, living areas and laundry facilities, the following apartment hotels offer some of the best family accommodation in Tokyo.
Want to know how we’ve selected our family-friendly hotels? Come and learn our secret formula for a happy hotel visit!
Looking for things to do while you’re in Tokyo?
No worries we have you covered for that too, jump over to our “Top Things to Do in Tokyo with Kids”