Tokyo is a great city to visit with kids. It is clean, safe and efficient and there are plenty of fun things to do with kids in Tokyo. Although it is an ultra-modern city, there is a wealth of tradition and culture to explore, from ancient temples to local food stalls.
Tokyo boasts a cheap and efficient public transport system, and you will find a great choice of family-friendly Tokyo hotels ready to welcome your family.
Best time to visit Tokyo
The best time to visit Tokyo is in the Spring or Autumn seasons when temperatures are pleasant, humidity is low and there is less chance of rain. It is also shoulder season for tourists so you should be able to get some good deals on accommodation.
Summer time can be very hot and humid, and also busy with tourists, so prices will be higher and attractions busier.
- The best time for Spring visits is late March to early May.
- The best time for Autumn visits is October to early December.
- Cherry blossom season in Tokyo is usually end March to early April.
- Fall foliage peak period is usually mid-November to early December.
- Try to avoid Golden Week at end April-early May when much of Japan takes holidays.
How to get around Tokyo
The easiest way to get around Tokyo is by Tokyo metro. It is cheap and efficient but is also renowned for being one of the biggest and most complex in the World. Click below to read all our tips for using the Tokyo Metro.
There are two airports in Tokyo: Tokyo Narita and Tokyo Haneda. Both airports have options for travelling into the city via train or airport limousine bus. Full details below.
- Children under 6 travel free on the Tokyo Metro, and children from 6 -11 years of age travel half price.
- Some Tokyo metro stations have elevators, but not all. Use the following link to check: http://www.japan-accessible.com/transport/metro/tokyo
- Avoid rush hour from 8am-10am and 5-7pm on public transport.
The Best Family Hotels in Tokyo
Tokyo hotels are renowned for being expensive with small hotel rooms. It can also be difficult to find hotel rooms with enough beds to accommodate the whole family.
We have tried to find hotel rooms that will allow rollaway beds, have interconnecting rooms and/or have triple or quad rooms to comfortably sleep a family with two or more children.
Serviced apartments in Tokyo are only licensed for rental by the month. If you prefer to stay in a self-catering apartment when you travel, you will need to find serviced apartments with a hotel license.
Top things to do in Tokyo with kids
There are plenty of fun things to do in Tokyo with kids. Whether you are here to visit Tokyo Disneyland, learn about the Japanese culture or dig into the famous Japanese cuisine, here we give you our selection of the best things to do in Tokyo with kids.
Note that many attractions in Tokyo are closed on Mondays, so plan ahead accordingly.
Our first tip for packing for Japan is to pack light. Public transport and train stations are often crowded so you don’t want to be lumbered with lots of luggage. Clothes-wise, your Japan packing list will depend on what time of year you are visiting.
The seasons in Japan are very distinct and so your Japan winter clothes will be very different from what you wear during the Japan summer months.