Episode 009 Show Notes – Christmas Season Travel with Kids
With your hosts Marianne Rogerson, Keri Hedrick & Marta Correale from Little City Trips.
We are also joined on today’s show by guest Kevin Wagar from Wandering Wagars
[2.10] Christmas in Europe
- Marta explains what Christmas feels like in Dublin, Ireland
- Visit continental Europe the weeks leading up to Christmas
- Amsterdam pre-Christmas is Marta’s favourite
- Switzerland for a winter wonderland feel
- Best Christmas Markets around the world for families
[5.10] Christmas in the Middle East
- Do they celebrate Christmas in Abu Dhabi?
- Family Brunch on Christmas Day
[6.36] Spending Christmas away – the tropics to NYC
- Marianne’s kids grew up in Singapore and Hong Kong, now Sydney so always a warm or tropical Christmas
- Christmas in Langkawi
- New York magical white Christmas
[10.20] Christmas travel to Lapland with Kids
Welcome to Kevin from Wandering Wagars. A Dad of two from Toronto in Canada he shares his top tips for a Finnish Lapland Christmas.
- Spending Christmas in Lapland, Finland
- There are multiple different Santa experiences – but which is the “real” one?
- Other activities in Rovaniemi with Kids
- Arctic Circle Husky Park
- Reindeer Sleigh Rides
- Arctic Circle Snow Mobile Park
- Snowman World Winter Zone
- Ice Karting
- Arctic Circle Hiking In Napapiiri
- Arktikum Museum Pilke Museum
- Ranua Wildlife Park
- Inari- captial of Lapland
- Also Levi & Saariselka
- Ice swimming and sauna culture in Finland
- Tips for staying warm and dry in Finland
- Practicalities how to get to Rovaniemi, when to book in advance and where to stay
- More information from VisitFinland
You can connect with Kevin and learn more about is Rovaniemi experience here:
[28.25] Practicalities of travelling Christmas Day – will Santa find us?
- Tips for helping move Christmas to another destination
- Elf on the Shelf can convey messages to Santa or write him a letter
- Give thought to the best types of gifts that can be easily transported
- Don’t promise a big gift when they are home!
- Make yourself a special Christmas packing list so items don’t get left behind
- Check if your destination needs any events advanced booking, for example, Christmas Day meals
- Take some decorations or a few traditions with you
- Embrace the traditions of your destination too
- What happens at your destination? Will you have access to transport, shops, restaurants on Christmas day?
- What day do they celebrate Christmas? Christmas Eve, Christmas Day? Religious observation?
- Consider weather extremes
- Give yourself extra time for transiting at this busy time of year
- Keep gifts in your carry on in case you’re separated
[37.20] Other winter travel destinations
- Best cities to visit in the winter
- Best cities for a sunny winter escape
You can play the episode here or click here for instructions on how to download to your favourite podcast player.
We would love you to leave us a review of this episode on your favourite podcast app. This will help other families find our podcast!
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a booking or purchase using one of these links, we may receive a small commission – at absolutely no extra cost to you.