Episode 006 Show Notes
Flying with a baby for the first time can be daunting – we know – we’ve all been there. We get it!
With hundreds of flights between us with babies and small children, we know there are several things you can do to make flights easier and more manageable. Today the Little City Team share their collective experience to help your next flight go as smooth as possible.
Listen to the podcast episode below:
Got any questions about travelling with your kids? You can ask your question in our City Travel with Kids community here.
[01.15] Our flying experiences
Keri, Marta & Marianne share the first time they flew with a baby.
Top takeaways include:
- The first flight is easier than you think it will be
- The fear of the flight is worse than the actuality
- Kindness of Strangers – people are generally willing to help
[04.30] Timing your flight
- We discuss the merits of overnight vs day flights
- Timing your flight to coincide with naps
- How the timing of the flight can help combat jet lag and how to decide what will work best
- Other top tips for dealing with jet lag
[10.25] Where to sit on the plane
- We discuss bulkhead seats with bassinets and other alternatives
- The pros and cons of booking a seat for your child vs lap infants
- Taking your car seat on the plane
[18.00] Feeding & eating on the plane
- Feeding during takeoff and landing is the most common advice given to new parents
- Bottle feeding and cleaning tips
- Safety regulations regarding liquids
- Child meals for toddlers and what to do if your child isn’t entitled to a meal as a lap infant
[25.00] What to bring on the plane
For more comprehensive information about travel products to bring, don’t miss our Travel Products episode.
- Strollers – checking your stroller at the gate vs carry on
- Click here to read our pick of the best compact strollers
- Baby carriers
- Click here to read our pick of the best baby carriers
- Car seats on the plane
- Click here to read our pick of the best car seats for travel
- Bringing extra of everything – clothes (for everyone), nappies, pacifiers
- Having a quick access “grab bag” baby change kit
- Toddler pillows
[32.00] Entertaining toddlers on the plane
- Good toys to bring for the plane
- Snacks, snacks, snacks
- Beware of air pressure!
[38.55] Before the Flight
- Tips for boarding the plane – do you go first or last?
- Tackling the airport – do you arrive early or last minute?
[42.15] Flying Solo with kids
- Tips for flying on your own with kids
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help
About our City Experts
Your hosts today are the Little City Trips team Marianne, Marta & Keri – you can learn more about us here!
You can play the episode here or click here for instructions on how to download to your favourite podcast player.
We would love you to leave us a review of this episode on your favourite podcast app. This will help other families find our podcast!
Little City Trips is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a booking or purchase using one of these links, we may receive a small commission – at absolutely no extra cost to you.