Melbourne has a wide selection of family-friendly accommodation and is more budget-friendly than many Sydney counterparts.
What are the best areas to stay in Melbourne with kids?
Melbourne is a city that has sprawled from the centre. You will find more budget accommodation options as you get further out of town, however, you will also find yourself further away from the action and main attractions. Public transport within central in Melbourne is great, however, as soon as you head beyond the centre, it’s not excellent.
- Basing yourself in the CBD is best, but will come with a higher price tag.
- Visiting for the sporting action such as the MCG or the tennis? Base yourself around Richmond and East Melbourne but expect to pay a lot more during these times (wherever you stay in the city).
- Here for the beachside or transferring on the ferry to Tassie? St Kilda is your spot.
- You can save money by situating yourself just outside of the CBD in the close inner suburbs.
Check out our 3-day Melbourne Itinerary if you’re still not sure what activities you will get up to in Melbourne, this will help ensure you are staying in the best location to maximise your time in the city.
Top Tips for booking a Melbourne Hotel
- Beware the exclusions. Notably, parking may not be included and “free WiFi” may only apply to communal areas.
- Often hotels offer ‘kids eat & stay free’ style packages, which may include attraction tickets to make the most of your time in Melbourne.
- Hotels can completely book out well in advance of popular sporting events.
- Compare rates on hotelscombined.com before you book as rates can vary between booking companies.
Best luxury hotels in Melbourne
Best mid-range hotels in Melbourne
Best budget hotels in Melbourne
Best self-catering accommodation in Melbourne
Want to know how we’ve selected our family-friendly hotels? Come and learn our secret formula for a happy hotel visit!
Looking for things to do while you’re in Melbourne?
No worries we have you covered for that too, jump over to our “Top Things to Do in Melbourne with Kids”
And don’t forget to pop in and check out our City Travel with Kids Podcast – our Melbourne episode is packed full of handy pointers for planning your Melbourne trip, as well as a 3-day itinerary designed by a local mum and plenty of day trip ideas from Melbourne too.