Episode 001 Show Notes – Rome with Kids
With your hosts today Marianne Rogerson & Keri Hedrick
We covered a community question “what to pack if you plan to travel with kids on a budget airline, carry on only?”
- Capsule wardrobes
- Check the weather
- Start with a smaller bag
- Reduce the number of toys
- Travel sized toiletries with a see-through bag
[6.00] Our Interview with Marta Correale
We welcomed our co-editor Marta Correale, blogger behind Learning Escapes and Mama Loves Rome to talk about her home city of Rome.
[7.22]Important things to note about planning a trip to Rome
- Understanding the seasons and the best time to visit Rome
- Where to base yourself for exploring Rome with kids
- How to get around Rome
- English is spoken widely enough but do learn some basic greetings in Italian
- Euro currency. Small purchases need to be made in small notes
[14.20] Rome 3-day family itinerary
You can find a detailed copy Marta’s suggested 3 Day itinerary for Rome here.
Marta suggests splitting your days between a large cultural activity and a more kid-centric activity.
- The Colosseum & Roman Forum
- coopculture.it – advance book your family tour tickets
- Rome for Kids – family tours by Global Dream Lab (book via Get Your Guide)
- Lunch at Café Café
- Trevi Fountain
- Explore the streets of Trevi and seek out the city’s best gelato
- Explore the Pantheon
- Torre Argentina Cat Sanctuary
- Explora IL Museo Dei Bambini Di Roma – Children Museum of Rome, includes dining options
- Vatican City
- Vatican Museums
- Family-Friendly Vatican Tour (Rome with Kids with via Get Your Guide)
- St Peter’s Square
- Castel Sant’Angelo
- Lunch in Borgo area between St Peters and the river Tiber
- Villa Borghese Gardens
- The Zoo – Bioparco di Roma
- Dinner in Piazza de Popolo
[35.00] More attractions to visit if you have longer in Rome
[35.50] Best areas and suggested hotels in Rome
Stay close to the city centre if you want to minimise how much public transport you will need.
- Best located hotel mid-range La Clarisse al Pantheon
- Kolbe Hotel, good 4-star option near to the ancient city sights
- You can find a full selection of Rome hotels for all budgets here
[36.50] Favourite places to eat in Rome
[38.00] Resources and items you’ll need to pack for Rome
- Good walking shoes
- Bring mosquito repellent
- A full packing list for Rome
[38.50] Our Fast 5 Questions on Rome
- Hidden Gem: Rome’s Pyramid – Pyramid of Cestius
- Splurge: Location of your hotel – location is everything!
- Save: Don’t take too many tours
- App: Google Maps!
- Playground: On the Oppian Hill in front of the Colosseum and in Villa Borghese (city center)
About our City Expert – Marta Correale
As well as being one of the co-editors of the Little City Trips website & City Travel with kids podcast, Marta is the blogger behind Learning Escapes and Mama Loves Rome, sharing her passion for cultural travel with kids and particularly her home city of Rome. You can learn more about Marta and her passion for travel here.
Connect with Marta on social media
You can play the episode here or click here for instructions on how to download to your favourite podcast player.
We would love you to leave us a review of this episode on your favourite podcast app. This will help other families find our podcast!
Little City Trips is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a booking or purchase using one of these links, we may receive a small commission – at absolutely no extra cost to you.